Friday, February 18, 2011

Sedore Bread Recipe


This recipe and instructions come from Jim In Maryland who got his Sedore stove in January 2011.

Recipe makes a wet dough, but that’s apparently what allows it to store in the fridge so well.
Here’s the wife’s recipe for the dough & baking it on a baking stone in the oven;
In a large bowl mix;
6 C lukewarm water
3 tsp yeast
3 tsp salt
13 C flour
Mix & let rest 2hrs (longer hasn’t hurt), lightly covered (she uses a hand towel & leaves it on in the fridge too) then refrigerate.
To use, take piece off & roll in flour and/or cornmeal (I just cornmeal & seed) & let rise 40 min (20 min of that would be pre-heating her baking stone).
Bake @450 for 30min.
In my Sedore adaptation, I don’t bother letting it rise (I figure it has 2-2.5hrs @200-250 to rise & bake). Right out of the fridge, I just roll it in seeds & cornmeal then place a semi-flattened piece on the 1” thick foil “airbake” in the Dutch oven (on the Sedores back shelf) & cover. I usually rotate the dutch oven about 1hr in, since the stack side is the hottest. When it’s done, it will be firm to the touch & no longer like a squishy risen doughball. I was told to let it cool before slicing but I usually can’t resist so I don’t think it matters.
I found that if I load the stove up & get the stack toasty when the bread first goes on, it cooks faster. On my brother-in-laws conventional woodstove, the dutch oven gets much warmer (~350) & it only takes 1-1.25 hours for them. With the lid on, the bread “steams” & comes out really tender w/o a crusty crust. Back in the baking stone days, I would butter the top while fresh to soften the crust. I no longer have to do that with the dutch oven method.
Figuring out Sedore bread was one of my first challenges/ goals. I love getting the free heat out of it & not running the oven @450 three or more times per week. Probably part of the reason our electric bill dropped almost $300..
Jim

Thanks to Jim. We are going to try this here at VisionStone Stoves. Seems like a wonderful idea.

No comments: